- The short leg is the cathode.
- The long leg is the anode.
- Different colours are achieved by using different materials within the LED.
- The ideal current for most LEDs is 20mA.
- The ideal forward voltage for most LEDs is 2V.
- It is possible to use Ohm’s law to find the best resistance for the protection resistor:
- The below method assumes the input voltage is 9V:
V=I x R,
9V – 2V = 7V
7V = 20mA x R
7/0.02 = R
R = 350 ohms
The last step is to find a resistor with a value equal to or close to but greater than the value determined via Ohm’s law.
- Low power consumption.
- Long life (100 000hrs).
- Low heat emissions.
- Eco-friendly and much less toxic.
- More expensive per lumen than normal filament bulbs.
- Temperature dependant for performance and light quality:
- Performance and light quality is better at lower temperatures.